Nia classes with Ann Marie

Current Class Schedule - updated Aug 28th, 2013

Mondays ~5:30-6:15pm Lower Native Sons Hall, Courtenay - new session starts Sept 16. Drop-in or register through the Lewis Centre, open to all.

Tuesdays ~ 3 to 4:15pm. Ongoing- d'Esterre House, Comox. Drop-in or register at the door, open to all.

Thursdays 10:30 - 11:30am Lewis Centre Gym - Special Need Adult Class - starts again in September.

Friday 9am - 10:15am. Ongoing Comox Seniors' Assocation. Drop-in or register at the door - reduced rate if you are a member of the Comox Seniors' Association. Open to all.


Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Running into the New Year

These are the first lines from a poem by Lucille Clifton:

i am running into a new year
and the old years blow back
like a wind
that i catch in my hair

I would also say that I am dancing into a new year, and time does fly back, like a wind that I catch in my hair, that I can sift through my fingers, and feel wrap around my arms and weave through my ribs.

I invite you all to come dancing into this new year with me, learning new ways of moving through the world, and hearing the music shake your bones alive.

This year of Nia will see a few more of the playshops, one to introduce each new routine, and one that will be a longer session that will focus on the 9 Movement Forms that comprise the Nia Technique.  These will be opportunities for you to deepen your practice, as well as times to invite in people who haven't tried Nia yet, but are curious.

I'll also be inviting you to come dance with me at community dance events and workshops hosted by other Nia teachers and dance teachers.  There are plans in the works for a Nia Jam here in the Comox Valley in the Spring.  A Nia Jam is a chance for Nia teachers from the island to get together and team teach an extended routine, giving everyone a taste of their style.  It's a fabulous way to experience Nia!

I am committed to continuing to deepen my own practice of Nia as a student and as a teacher, and welcome your feedback, comments, questions and concerns.

I once heard a dance teacher quote Martha Graham:  "The place where a dancer stands ready is holy ground."

I'll meet you there each week, and we'll dance on that ground together.

No comments:

Post a Comment